Behavioral Education & Social-skills Training
What is B.E.S.T.?
The Lighthouse Enrichment B.E.S.T Program is an after school program for students with special needs, ages 4-22. Students are taught a variety of social interaction skills and appropriate behavior modifications in numerous social situations. Furthermore, the B.E.S.T. Program proudly serves the special needs community of Bakersfield with all the love and care a child’s heart desires. All of the children in the B.E.S.T. Program our treated with utmost unconditional positive regard and respect. As it is with many children and much more so for children with special needs, day school can be very difficult. Students with special needs are often facing the reality of social anxieties, being bullied, and many other challenges. When they arrive at Northwest Christian School, which serves as a host for the Lighthouse Enrichment B.E.S.T. Program, they are in a safe, caring and confidence building environment. Program facilitators and student volunteers (Guardians from Northwest Christian School) encourage and edify the students in attendance by accepting them and affirming them through affection. It is our aspiration to help children and young adults with special needs in navigating through the social world.
• The Lighthouse Enrichment B.E.S.T. Program strives to teach students how to function in a social environment that is and will be applicable in a naturalistic and real-world setting.
• Positive behavioral supports and individualized planning is used to teach students how to conduct themselves in the program and in their lives.
• Social skills are taught by using proficient strategies, and positive reinforcement with unconditional positive regard.
• Eye contact
• Staying on topic
• Understanding social cues
• Language development
• Initiating, maintaining and ending a conversation
• Making and maintaining friendships
• Showing empathy
• Compromise and cooperation
• Sharing and taking turns
Self Help Skills
• Coping strategies
• Understanding feelings
• Toleration tasks
• Keeping calm
• Appropriate responses
• Conflict Resolution
• Delayed gratification
12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Our campus closes at 6:00 pm
(accommodations can be made for students with earlier arrival times)
• Activities are continuously held until 5:30 pm.
Students are encouraged to participate upon arrival.
• We also offer full day enrichment care during summer break.